Monday, July 1, 2013

Meet the Correspondents : Amara Strand

Amara Strand

TUMBLR | FLICKR | INSTAGRAM 

I am a freelance 3D visualizer, originally from Bangkok, Thailand with a background in Interior Design. As part of my job I used to draw and paint with water colours. Sketching is one of the things I love to do the most and makes me feel true to myself. I immigrated to Toronto in 2010 , and for the first few years I explored the city through photography. Something was lacking though. With a camera I felt like I only captured the moment in front of me, it was not enough. Then I realized what I was missing. DRAWING! With that realization I decided to join Toronto Urban Sketchers and take the opportunity to learn and explore the city, as well as make some new friends.

Sketching on location for me is about the challenge while still having fun. I am intrigued by an artists creativity. Even at the same location artists can have totally different views of the same scene. As a compulsive urban sketcher, I have paid more attention to the details and getting to know more of the city. Sketching as a group is always enjoyable and inspiring. I am happy when others talk about art that inspires them.

I mostly use watercolours with liner pens. I love to see colourful watercolour running, seeing the lines go on my sketchbook and never knowing exactly how the sketch will turn out when it is done. This excites me.

1 comment: